Can You Give a Reason for the Hope in You?
In Sunday’s sermon, Pastor Ted outlined for us how we can take the gospel to others. He used 1 Peter 3:14-16. We are to be prepared to give a reason for the hope in us to anyone who asks.
Have you ever thought of how you might give a defense for the hope in you if you were asked? This is a really good question and one that needs some preparation and thought. Pastor Ted broke it down for us.
- First Honor Christ- Remember it is all about Him.
- Prepare a Defense- Answer when asked what Jesus means to you personally; tell them the reason for the hope that is in you.
- Do it with Gentleness and Respect- This is contrary to what the world does. Speak with kindness and with respect.
- Have a Good Conscience so that when you are slandered those who revile your good behavior will be put to shame.
- Sharing Jesus leads to joy.
Therefore, take some time and thoughtfully tell your story to yourself.
For me, I know that if it were not for my faith in Jesus I would not be where I am today. There have been too many things in my life that I am not proud to speak about. As well as situations that might have lead me to take the wrong course of action. For example, I was pregnant when I lost my first husband, I could have chosen to have an abortion or given my child up for adoption. Jesus gave me the strength to carry on and I now have a handsome young man as my son.
The Reason to Be Ready.
Furthermore, we all have a reason for the hope that is in us as believers and followers of Christ. The Holy Spirit will empower us with the right words at the right time. We just need to be ready. Because the world is hurting and they need to know that there is hope.
In closing, I leave you with this hymn, “Jesus, My Blood and Righteousness,” because it helps me be prepared. Here is a relate link, Hope.